Re: lintian 2.5.21 is failing to build on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise)

On 2014-03-09 17:01, Jan Wagner wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi,

> I tried to rebuild[1] lintian 2.5.21 on Ubuntu Precise to use it with
> travis-ci[2].

Seems like a good idea. :)

> Unfortunately it is failing with:
>
> Failed tests (3)
>     deb-format-lzma
>     binaries-libc-link
>     patch-systems-quilt-debian-changes
>
> deb-format-lzma: is about missing build-dep of xz-lzma

I believe xz-lzma got removed and is replaced by xz-utils.  At least
xz-lzma no longer exists in Debian (and, I guess, any "recent" version
of Ubuntu).  You will have to change Lintian's dependency relations
accordingly for old

> binaries-libc-link: readelf has some troubles
> +readelf: Error: 'EXEC': No such file

I do not remember seeing an error like that before from readelf and I am
fairly sure that we have no files (generated or otherwise) named "EXEC"
in all uppercase.  My guess is that a race condition truncates part of
the output here.  Perhaps you could re-run the tests with
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=1 so we can see if readelf had anything more
to say.

(run with:
   DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=1 debian/rules runtests \
     onlyrun=binaries-libc-link
)

> patch-systems-quilt-debian-changes:
> +I: patch-systems-quilt-debian-changes source:
> quilt-patch-using-template-description debian-changes-1.0-1
>  W: patch-systems-quilt-debian-changes source:
> format-3.0-but-debian-changes-patch

But sure what happens here, but my first guess is that the precise
version of dpkg-source regenerates the patch and thereby creating the
template description.

Though the question is why dpkg-source feels a need to regenerate the
patch.  Perhaps you can obtain either the generated patch or the build
log from that test (it will be stored in a log file somewhere in
debian/test-out)?

> Does anybody of you have an idea how this could be solved?
>
> Many thanks, Jan.
> [1]
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/168457153/buildlog_ubuntu-precise-i386.lintian_2.5.21_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
> [2] http://www.travis-ci.org

For the record, the current Lintian test suite is broken by changes to
tar (see #739744).  Just an FYI in case you need to provide Lintian for
new versions of Ubuntu.

~Niels