Re: [Draft] Bits from the lintian maintainers

On 2011-08-12 18:03, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> writes:

"""
Other improvements
==================

These days Lintian
           ^^^^^^^
"""

(Fixed a typo, thanks to Jakub Wilk)

>>   * processes related packages together
>
>>     Since 2.5.0~rc3 Lintian has grouped related packages and processed
>>     them together.  With this Lintian can now do things like check if a
>>     manpage is in a direct dependency.
>
> ...in a direct dependency built from the same source package.  Unless
> that feature is much neater than I think it is.  :)

Thanks, corrected (quoted the resulting paragraph in full):

"""
  * processes related packages together

    Since 2.5.0~rc3 Lintian has grouped related packages and processed
    them together.  With this Lintian can now do things like check if
    a manpage is in a direct dependency built from the same source
    package.
"""

>>   * supports architecture specific overrides
>
> architecture-specific
>
>>     In some cases tags may only appear on certain architectures and
>>     since files must be "byte-for-byte"-identical in "Multi-Arch:
>>     same" packages, Lintian now has architecture specific overrides.
>
>>     For now it only supports "simple" architectures in the overrides.
>
> ...in the overrides, not wildcards like "linux-any".  (Some people
> probably won't know what you mean here, since architecture wildcards are
> still fairly new.)

Thanks, corrected (quoted the resulting paragraph in full):

"""
  * supports architecture-specific overrides

    In some cases tags may only appear on certain architectures and
    since files must be "byte-for-byte"-identical in "Multi-Arch:
    same" packages, Lintian now has architecture specific overrides.

    For now it only supports "simple" architectures in the overrides,
    not wildcards like "linux-any".
"""

Finally Jakub Wilk noted another typo of mine (s/derivate/derivative/)
in the """ Help us write "lintian-harness" """ part.

> This otherwise looks great to me.

Great, I will give it another day or two, just in case someone else
wants to do a review.

> And on a personal note, thank you *so* much for all the work that you've
> been doing on Lintian.  I've often had the experience with other open
> source projects of personally running out of time and seeing the project
> stagnate, which usually makes me feel even worse about not having enough
> time and is very depressing.  It's been a delight to see things moving
> along with such wonderful progress!  It's made it much less depressing to
> be temporarily trapped in a deluge of work, and is keeping me feeling
> enthusiastic about the chance to get back to work on Lintian again.

Thanks, I hope we can "soon" do another """ The "back under 100 open
bugs" release. """. :)

(Ref: version 1.23.31)

> (My current major work project is supposed to go into beta release on
> September 1st, after which I have a bunch of documentation to write and
> then am on vacation for chunks of September and most of October, and then
> I have great hopes to be back and able to do more Debian work.  At:
>
>     http://git.eyrie.org/?p=kerberos/webauth.git
>
> is what I've been working on, for anyone who's idly curious.)

That sounds great; especially schools starts for me again soon, so my
contribution-rate largely depend on just how boring my courses are. XD

~Niels