Re: [Draft] Bits from the lintian maintainers

On Aug 12, 2011, at 18:03, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> writes:
>
> This otherwise looks great to me.
>
> And on a personal note, thank you *so* much for all the work that you've
> been doing on Lintian.  I've often had the experience with other open
> source projects of personally running out of time and seeing the project
> stagnate, which usually makes me feel even worse about not having enough
> time and is very depressing.  It's been a delight to see things moving
> along with such wonderful progress!  It's made it much less depressing to
> be temporarily trapped in a deluge of work, and is keeping me feeling
> enthusiastic about the chance to get back to work on Lintian again.

+1

> (My current major work project is supposed to go into beta release on
> September 1st, after which I have a bunch of documentation to write and
> then am on vacation for chunks of September and most of October, and then
> I have great hopes to be back and able to do more Debian work.  At:
>
>    http://git.eyrie.org/?p=kerberos/webauth.git
>
> is what I've been working on, for anyone who's idly curious.)

Interesting. :-)

I've got a question regarding the various lintian modules. I'm a command line person and often use tools like perldoc to read the documentation that is in with code. Lintian does seem to use plain old documentation very much which I think is too bad. It is considered a perl best practice. I'm happy to add that type of pod to the modules and the scripts as I come across the need. Is that useful?

I'd also like to move the README.Developer from plain text to pod while it is still early. pod can get translated into markdown and Mediawiki markup as well as html.

Regards,

Jeremiah