Re: Vendor-based customization of Lintian (or profiles)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 06:14:25PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Hi
>
> Considering that #513663 will be closed in 2.5.0~rc3, I figured it was
> time to start a new branch. XD

w00t!

>   I was considering to do either Vendor-based customization or support
> third party checks (e.g. Lintian "extra"), as the subject suggests I
> think I will start with Vendor-based Lintian.
>   However if you think third party checks should be given priority, let
> me know - this decision is not set in stone. :)

I strongly feel vendor based customizations should be the Next Big Thing.
I started a fork of lintian in Maemo, called maemian, but it quickly bogged
down due to the complexities you mention in Ubuntu.

The point is that I think this would be welcome amongst derivatives and
improve the quality of derivative package and ultimately Debian.

I'm very glad that you're looking into doing this Niels - thank you. And
thank you for your work on lintian. To be honest, I've rarely seen more
productive programmers than yourself!

Thanks!

Jeremiah