Re: Sharing Lintian hints, tips and patches (on a wiki)

On Apr 24, 2010, at 21:29, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some Lintian warnings (tags) may not be trivial to fix, or there may be
> some issues, side effects... The "lintian-info --tags" usually provide
> enough hints, but some users might want to share more specific hints.
>
> I have setup some pages on the wiki to help sharing them.

I can't tell you how useful this could be, or how much easier it will make my life. I've done google searches that reveal no hits at all on lintian errors. Granted, this was a little while ago and lintian's documentation is much better, but this is a great idea. Thanks for doing this!

> Basically, each lintian tag could have a page like[1]. The tag's
> description isn't written statically in the page, but it can be easily
> re-generated/re-imported from lintian. see the hidden instruction in
> page[2] (you have to click on the "Comments" link at the top).
>
> Do you think it can be useful? Do you have some ideas to make it better?
> What about linking to those pages from lintian.debian.org/tags/*.html
> pages?

Yes - I think cross linking those pages is incredibly valuable.

Jeremiah