Re: DRAFT: Bits from the Lintian maintainers

Thanks for all of the comments!

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe it should be mentioned how many checks there were in etch's
> lintian, how many in lenny's, and how many in 2.2.x (the latest version
> in sid available as of the time the mail is sent).
>
> Something else that could also be mentioned is the new
> private/refresh-*-data momentum, in the attempt to remain as up to date
> as possible.

Added both of those.

> Other points:
> * lintian and ftp-master

I think I'm going to save this one to talk about when the discussed
automated checking is added, which I think is going to happen after the
lenny release.

> * checking of .deb and .changes

Added a section on the test suite.

> * summary of tag changes
> * the lack of a header/slogan in the latest releases :)

I'm not sure what to say about those.  :)  I could start making up a
slogan again for releases.  I mostly stopped because I was feeling a bit
guilty about how long the Lintian changelog entries are already.

> * Yay! lintian goes 2.x

I think Frank already posted something about this, IIRC, as part of
announcing the tag classification change.

> * experimental check

Not sure there's much to say about this yet.  I'd like to add more tag
views, including all experimental tags and all overridden tags, which
would be a good point to talk more about experimental tags.

> My opinion is that everyone with a package which is more or less lintian
> clean (say less than 10 tags) should try --pedantic at least once every
> now and then to see what it reports and think about those issues. "You
> decide, but take a look anyway" would be the right slogan.

I put in something along those lines.

> Some optimisations and binary-related checks (including spell checking) are
> on their way as well.
>
> I also started to collect some missing checks from linda and rpmlint that
> should be included as well.

Thanks, added.

>>     http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Lintian

> Some of the "Debconf7 Discussion" points are not longer valid, the page
> needs to be updated.

Everyone here should feel free to just start editing.  I'll try to put
some time into this soon, but haven't had a lot of chance to work on it.

>> We're also looking for someone who would like to tackle converting the
>> Lintian manual in Docbook instead of DebianDoc-SGML and working on
>> updates.  There's quite a bit about Lintian that isn't currently
>> documented.  If you're in terested, let us know.

> As an end note it could be mentioned that any idea for a new check
> should be reported, discussion will later happen, but idea should be
> kept shout.

Done.