Re: error messages in the raw lintian.log

Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> We could easily duplicate the check that tar is doing.

Sure.

> We already do for
> binary packages; we just don't for source packages.

I have always wondered what the exact relation between that check and dak
is.

> Unfortunately, it's
> one of those annoying upstream bugs where there isn't much the Debian
> package maintainer can do to fix it unless they repackage the upstream
> source.

Yes, but maybe the maintainer did *something*. On guile's case, only
the -1.8 tarball has that problem, 1.6 which is also in sid does have
correct time stamps. I couldn't find upstream's 1.8 tarball, only the ones
for the previous releases, so I downloaded the snapshot which has 1.8 in
its name; as you may guess from my comment, the tarball I downloaded also
had correct time stamps.

By the way, bit off topic, shouldn't the source-contains-* checks better be
severity: pedantic? There's no much maintainers can do about those but
repack the tarball and/or bug upstream, not to mention that they usually
don't affect the final .deb and when they do another check should catch
those.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Maintainer