Re: Dependency-based running of collection scripts

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Sorry it took me so long to reply to this.  I see that all sorts of things
>> went into my to-reply list right before the conference I was running last
>> year heated up, and then I never got back to them.

> Np. The reply to this thread actually comes to me as a surprise as most of
> the things I mentioned are already implemented or changed.
> <h9er7b$nse$1@ger.gmane.org> is the most up-to-date post and thread.

Oh, sorry.  I was going through in order and missed that.  I'll go read
that message instead (well, after I finish fixing this bug in the HTML
report generation that I'd missed).

>> Incidentally, while you're working on this, if you feel inspired,
>> Checker should become Lintian::Checker or something similar, and as
>> much of this code from the frontend should move into a library as
>> possible.

> This should probably be discussed on the other thread (I can't find it
> with a quick subject search, though) where I proposed making all checks
> inherit a new Lintian::Check class that would allow splitting the checks
> code into automagically-run check_* methods.

Yeah, basically I think Lintian::Checker, or Lintian::Check, should
acquire a ton more methods and a larger view on the world.  Something that
would handle the whole process of scheduling a set of packages, running
the unpack and collect scripts, running the checks, gathering statistics,
reporting unused overrides, and so forth.  Currently, this is all in
frontend/lintian without any structure in one giant wad of code, which
makes it kind of hard to maintain and conceptualize.

>> My very long-term goal is that I'd like to get the frontend/lintian
>> script down to just command-line parsing and library setup, and glueing
>> things together, and get all the core work into libraries as much as
>> possible.

> Yes, that would be great.  The current state of frontend/lintian doesn't
> help to make other changes there.

Exactly.