Re: lintian: no clean way to handle runit support

Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> writes:

> Since this data is semantically quite similar to a pid file, and also
> only has meaning as long as the usually two supervising processes
> exsist, I placed the directories for these processes under /var/run
> (where PID files usually live). I have no better idea about where to
> place these directories, and unless you have, I would prefer lintian to
> not complain about these directories, or at most, as a warning (so I can
> remove these errors from the overrides file).

You cannot create directories in /var/run only via a Debian package
because /var/run is permitted and supported as a tmpfs file system in
which all contents are automatically purged on any reboot.  You have to
have some mechanism in place to recreate the directory structure after
reboot, and once you have such a mechanism, including the directories in
the package is extraneous.

The Lintian tag may be relatively uninteresting if you already have some
other mechanism to ensure that the directories are created, but in that
case the simple solution is to just stop including those directories in
the package since their inclusion is unnecessary.  If you do not have some
other mechanism in place to create the directories and your package needs
those directories to exist for runit support, then your package has a bug:
runit support won't work properly on a system with a tmpfs /var/run, which
is a supported configuration in Debian (and the default on Ubuntu, FWIW).
Lintian is trying to tell you about that bug.