Re: Visualizing the evolution of Lintian tags

Jordà Polo <jorda@ettin.org> writes:

> I finally managed to generate graphs to visualize the evolution of
> Lintian tags. This has been in my TODO for a long time: I think I
> already mentioned it last year during GSoC.
>
> The code is actually pretty straightforward. The current, experimental
> version works without Lintian: it consists of a simple Perl script
> (which somehow resembles reporting/html_reports) to read lintian.log
> files and store statistics into data files. A Makefile is then used to
> invoke gnuplot and generate the graphs.
>
> I have been running it for the last few days, and the first graphs are
> already available, including per-tag[1] (e.g.
> unstripped-binary-or-object[2]) and global statistics[3]. Note that it
> is still a work in progress, and some graphs may not be entirely
> accurate compared to the Lintian Tags page[4].

Neat!  I like this a lot.  I can see this being particularly useful once
we have enough data to have graphs that cover longer periods of time.

> I think it would be a good idea to display the graphs at lintian.d.o,
> but I'm not sure how: integrating it into lintian/reporting, or
> running it as an external service (e.g. cron job on alioth.d.o).

I think integrating it into lintian/reporting makes the most sense.  We
can then generate the graphs as part of the HTML generation run.