Re: Some (I believe) spurious warnings in Lintian for e2fsprogs

Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> writes:

> W: uuid-runtime: command-with-path-in-maintainer-script prerm:5 /usr/sbin/uuidd
> N:
> N:   The indicated program run in a maintainer script has a prepended path.
> N:   Programs called from maintainer scripts normally should not have a
> N:   path prepended. dpkg ensures that the PATH is set to a reasonable
> N:   value, and prepending a path may prevent the local administrator from
> N:   using a replacement version of a command for some local reason.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 6.1 (Introduction to package
> N:   maintainer scripts) for details.
> N:
>
> Here, I want to make sure the uuidd daemon is shutdown before removing
> the package.  Since the uuidd daemon is provided by the uuid-runtime
> package, and I *know* exactly where it is, and I ***don't*** want the
> script to be confused by some other pathname being used by the local
> administrator, I specify an explicit pathname.  In addition, given the
> explicit test to make sure /usr/sbin/uuidd exists, it seems non-sensical
> to remove the prepended path here:
>
> if [ -x /usr/sbin/uuidd ]
> then
> 	/usr/sbin/uuidd -k || true
> fi

For this usage, I think an override is the best.  Policy explicitly says
not to do this in the normal case, and I'm not sure I can see how to
modify Lintian to suppress this instance.

I suppose we could have Lintian not complain about files that are shipped
in the same package, but I'm not sure that's correct.