Re: Another raw idea for lintian check: variable substitution in debconf templates

Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):

> Sure, that sounds like a good idea to me.  Should we trigger on anything
> in a lintian template that looks like ${DISK}?  Would $DISK also be valid,
> or are the curly braces required?

Frans answered and his answer is obviously correct.

> > I'm sorry for not being technically able to provide the appropriate
> > patch to lintian for this but that could deserve some attention.
>
> I assume that something like the following pseudocode would work:

No advice there.

About Frans' suggestion to leave such check up to the future
translation status page: I'm not entirely keen for this. IMHO,
maintainers should have a way to detect translations than can be very
misleading to users.

Of course, the tricky point is suggesting maintainers that they should
*not* try to fix the "error" themselves unless they are 1000% sure
they won't break something. Otherwise, suggestion to mark the string
as "fuzzy" is better. Example of a fuzzy string:

#. Type: select
#. Description
#: ../templates:3002
#, fuzzy
msgid "Type of automatic serial port configuration:"
msgstr ""
"¿Qué tipo de configuración automática del puerto serie quiere utilizar?"

As you see, the key is the line before msgid, marked as a "comment"
and containing "#, fuzzy" (the comma is needed).