Re: Problem while checking for php-cli

Russ Allbery wrote:
> If I were you I'd just depend on php5-cli and be done with it.  The
> package is for Debian unstable after all and one can always change the
> dependencies in a backport for other versions of Debian.

I always get that kind of reply. I agree in general to it, as it's true
that the goal is to upload in SID.

However, this package is currently installed and maintained on hundreds
of servers running Etch and that's the reason why I try not to have
things being different when running under SID or Etch. This is quite a
nightmare to manage otherwise. I guess that you understand understand
that we have imperatives of productions.

Anyway, I do understand why you are requesting such thing, and I'll
remove all dependencies to php4 for the SID upload.

> So far as I can tell, no such package as php-cli has ever existed,
> although maybe it's a defunct provides that predates oldstable.  php5-cli
> does not provide php-cli and neither did php4-cli in sarge.  What problem
> were you solving by including php-cli?

Well, if I did add this dependency, it's because of the lintian warning
that was requesting it. I was really surprised to see it as well, I
thought it was a new thing in SID, so I've added php-cli and tried
again. I think you'd better change the text message to make it more
clear that only php5-cli is requested and nothing else, so nobody will
do the same mistake that I did.

Anyway, thanks for your quick reply, that helps a lot and I appreciate
it. I'll change my package and I will ask my sponsor to review it once more.

Thomas Goirand