Re: Certainty and severity levels

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 06:04:58PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I came up with something a while back, but now I don't remember exactly
> what it was.  Something like certain, probable, possible, and wild guess.
> I'm not sure those names are any better.  :)

Well, those are certainly more meaningful :)

But thinking about it, I'm not sure about the distinction between
probable and possible. I can appreciate the difference, but aren't both
words often used interchangeably? Anyway, I would like to use only one
of them, at least for now, and "possible" seems to be more equidistant
to certain and wild guess than "probable".

Wild guess is probably the less standard name, but I like it because it
doesn't imply improbability.