Re: erroneous Lintian report

"Martin-Éric Racine" <q-funk@iki.fi> writes:

> The problem seems to be that most uploads are done with i386 packages,
> so they seldom get built there. How about we switch Debian to
> source-only uploads while we're at it (as opposed to the current
> architecture upload)?

This is a long-standing debate on debian-devel.  Ubuntu went that way, I
think.  Some people are strongly in favor of it, and others are worried
that source-only uploads will result in more build failures and more work
for the buildd admins by making it much easier to upload packages that
don't build at all.  (It also means that all arch-independent packages
would have to be built somewhere, but that's probably a minor
implementation detail.)  It's one of those debates that's been going on
for years and never reaches any firm consensus, and hence nothing ever
changes.