Re: lintian.debian.org still at 1.23.12

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 03:32:38PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> writes:
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:56:59PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> >> lintian.debian.org still use lintian 1.23.12.
> >> Is it possible to upgrade it to 1.23.15 ?
>
> > Currently running for 1.23.16 (just uploaded). Will take a few days to
> > complete, iirc.
>
> How did that go?  I'm particularly curious to see what stderr you got,
> since I think we have the errors in #295072 under control at this point
> (although to really close that bug, we need to implement the capturing of
> lintian failures and transforming them into tags so that we can also
> figure out what package is affected).

It crapped out near the end, the whole things is quite fragile anyway,
so instead I've been playing today with some totally alternative
approach of having a site like lintian.d.o, but then for potentially
unlimited amount of type of checks, lintian and non-lintian. You can see
results of lintian coming in to /org/qa.debian.org/rebuildtesting/pool
(the 'rebuildtesting' name is legacy, it's wrong, but I didn't come up
with a nice new name yet) on merkel, but there isn't a good web
interface yet (or one at all). For lintian, it's probably for now
easiest to actually reconstruct the lintian.log file from the current
'pool'.

Bonus is that it can do unstable & testing both, and across all archs,
instead of just i386. Especially nice and important for checks like the
one that checks for 'built-with-broken-debhelper'. It also makes it much
much easier to run in parallel scripts with a svn checkout of lintian.

I'll announce to -qa later tonight a bit about the status of this, it's
work in progress, but it's long overdue.

> >> Also is there some concerted effort to report to the BTS the most
> >> serious problems found by lintian ?
>
> > Unfortunately, this hasn't really been coming off the ground lately. I
> > hope this can be done in the reasonable near future again, lintian
> > accuracy has greatly improved lately.
>
> This is another project that I'd be interested in working on, although of
> course getting up-to-date lintian.debian.org output is a good first step
> for this.

Probably a good idea to have some decent registration, perhaps via
usertags and stuff, not sure how to do so exactly... I'm myself not
really going to get involved in that in the near future, but am
definitely interested on the medium term :).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl