Re: Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

"cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)" <cobaco@linux.be> wrote:

> On Friday 23 December 2005 10:24, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> The fact that the script is not in the path isn't enough for you here?
>> And don't you think that anyone who knows that a shebang lines indicates
>> executability from the command line
>
> shebang line does _not_ indicate executability, it's the magic number that
> indicates it's a script instead of machine code (see e.g
> http://foldoc.org/?shebang)
>
> if it's meant to be executable it should have the executable bit set, this
> is unrelated from the shebang line (if not what do you do with a script
> that's executable for the owner but not for anyone else? automatically
> remove the shebang depending on who opens it?)

You are right, but this makes me doubt even more whether having a
non-executable file with a shebang line is a bug, because this
information is also interesting for human beings.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich