Click Here
FP Logo Your portal to global politics, economics, and ideas
FP Logo
Wednesday, September 7, 2005
free registration required archived article back issue only premium content
Inside This e-Alert: The World’s “Endangered Species”

From FOREIGN POLICY’s September/October 2005 Issue

What are the “endangered species” in our midst? When FP first arrived on the scene in 1970, few would have predicted that, 35 years later, the Soviet Union would have closed up shop, or that the person handling your customer service requests would be sitting in Bangalore. In our 35th anniversary issue, we asked 16 leading thinkers to look ahead to which ideas, values, or institutions that we take for granted may no longer be with us in 2040.

By David A. Feingold
The coerced movement of people across borders is as old as the laws of supply and demand. What is new is the volume of the traffic—and the realization that we have done little to stem the tide. We must look beyond our raw emotions if we are ever to stop those who trade in human lives.

By Brook Larmer
The NBA understands the power of an icon. When Michael Jordan retired from basketball, the league’s ratings began to fall. To bounce back, the NBA expanded overseas and lured foreign talent to the game. But no one is as big an ambassador as Yao Ming. The NBA sees its salvation in the 7-foot, 6-inch Chinese sensation—and in 1.3 billion hoops fans.

By William Easterly
This year, economists, politicians, and rock stars in rich nations have pleaded for debt relief and aid for the world’s poorest countries. It certainly sounds like the right thing to do. But utopian plans of alleviating poverty and misguided aid programs overlook some hard facts—and give false hope to the millions who could use medicine and clean water instead.

Read FP’s free, registered content online. Just click here to register now! It takes less than one minute and gives you immediate access to articles you won’t find anywhere else by the best and brightest minds today.
Register here.

By Stuart Eizenstat and Rubén Kraiem
President Bush says the Kyoto Protocol is bad for the U.S. economy. But corporate America didn’t get the memo—it’s already playing by the treaty’s rules.

The third annual CGD/FP Commitment to Development Index ranks the generosity of 21 rich nations on how they help or hinder the poor. Wealthy countries hand out vast sums of foreign aid, but they also put up enormous barriers to trade. They selflessly send soldiers to keep the peace, but then sell arms to Third World thugs. In the end, are the rich doing more harm than good?

Get the entire current issue online!
Click here for a FREE PREVIEW of the September/October issue!

By Arvind Panagariya
Development activists have finally realized that free trade is not evil. When do they plan to tell the poor?

By Kunda Dixit
Nepal’s social fabric is being torn apart. More than 11,000 people have been killed in the past nine years. In a new novel, a leading Nepalese journalist has turned to fiction to reveal the dark depths of the conflict that plagues his country.

Get a FREE YEAR of FP! SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

NET EFFECT

By Moisés Naím
Why the rich world’s definition of “normalcy” can be costly for everyone else.

Unsubscribe

© Copyright 2005 FOREIGN POLICY | 1779 Massachusetts Avenue, NW | Washington, D.C. 20036

Best of the Web:
The Future
The Path to 2050
Goldman Sachs

A New World Economy
Business Week

International Energy Outlook 2005
Energy Information Administration

The 21st Century at Work
The Rand Corporation

Sign up for eNews from

Sent every other week, it keeps you informed of the latest conferences, books, policy briefs, working papers, and news from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.