Re: Lintian and menu files - a bug?

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:23:44PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Given all that, debian/yadex.menu is:
>
>    ?package(yadex): needs="x11" section="Games/Arcade" title="yadex" \
>       hints="Doom,3D" command="x-terminal-emulator -e /usr/games/yadex"
>
> Which generates a lintian warning, because the yadex package doesn't itself
> provide x-terminal-emulator.  I believe this is a bug.  There's no policy
> that says that "command" must only refer to executables provided by the
> package itself.

It is a bug that you explicetly call x-terminal-editor here. Just fix
you menu file so that it correctly states needs="text". The
window-manager will take care of the rest.

> In fact, it's reasonable that it *should* be policy that "command" must only
> refer to executables provided by:
>
>    * the package itself, and
>    * any packages listed as a dependency
>
> because of the very definition of "dependency".

All packages that are directly required by the menu entry should be
listed as a comma separated list in the package(...) declaration of
the entry. Such entries will not cause a lintian warning.

> Is there any way you would you consider changing lintian so that "command" in
> menu files can refer to executables provided by dependency packages?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/