Re: lintian: r77 - in trunk: checks debian testset testset/binary/debian

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 03:04:24PM +0100, jeroen@wolffelaar.nl wrote:
> Log:
> checks/huge-usr-share:
> + Check for a big /usr/share (currently 250kB) in arch-dependent
>   packages (Closes: #232849)
>   Thanks Steve McIntyre for the idea
>
> Not sure what the treshold should be, and maybe make it also dependent on the
> .deb size? I.e., a 100MB deb with 300kB /usr/share is maybe not that bad...

Hmm, I would be very cautious with this check.
As I also said on -devel (while Steve was obviously not listening): go
for the obvious cases. We have and had already lintian checks that give
many falso positives (the Perl module location one is a prominent
example), which I see as very bad, because it hurts the confidence in
lintian, which is very very bad, since we cannot _order_ people to use
lintian. But I'm going off the topic... Perhaps my opinions are also
influenced by this, uhmm, not-so-perfect mass bugs filing of Steve.

I would go for something > 5 MB and/or > 95% and skip the check
completely for packages smaller than 5 MB or something like that.
Make it 4 or 3 MB and 90%, but 250k is IMHO way too low.

Before including this in a lintian upload I will run it on a full (or at
least one arch) Debian mirror and investigate the output. I would have
done it now, but there seems to be a problem with the svn repository:
djpig@djpig:~/debian/lintian/nmu-svn/trunk$ svn update
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/lintian/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/lintian/trunk': timed out waiting for server
(http://svn.wolffelaar.nl)

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>