Re: Doubt about package-has-a-duplicate-relation

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:25:04PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have a doubt about the lintian check package-has-a-duplicate-relation.
> Dependencies may be added as a result of automatic variable
> substitutions such as ${misc:Depends} and ${shlibs:Depends}, and they
> may even be platform-dependent, so it's not possible for the maintainer
> to manually sort them out beforehand.  I think the check should at
> least be downgraded to a warning so maintainers can feel better about
> overriding it, and the "some tools" that are claimed to break as a
> result of these dependency specifications should simply be fixed.

Yeah, there is works going on to have the packaging tools also prevent
this from happening, but that's still work in progress. Feel free to
file a bug (if there isn't already one) to get the severity downgraded,
lintian development is at the moment at quite a low speed since most
maintainers are giving priority to have Sarge released ASAP.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl