Re: Is this project alive

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 07:23:00PM +0000, James Turner wrote:
> I work in the IT department of a large, international law firm, and can
> shed a bit of light on what is required for an international setup.

> I agree, it would be a real pity to see this list disappear - it would
> be great to get it moving forward again!  Let me know if I can be of any
> help!

IMHO it would be of great help if you could iron out your knowledge into
classifying available free software which might be useful for doing
certain tasks in the day to day job of layers.  In Debian Pure Blends we
developed these tasks (=categorisations) as set of available and
prospective packages.  These tasks definitions[1] are quite simple and
are visualised online at

   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/lex/tasks/

Just have a look at this page and discuss the following items here on the
list:

   1. Does the current categorisation makes sense according to your
      experience (if not what would you do differently)
   2. Do you know software inside or outside Debian which would fit
      into one of the categories.
   3. If there is some software not yet included in Debian just provide
      the following information:

       Name:
       Homepage:
       License:
        <long description>

      (You can either add this information in SVN[1] yourself or ask me
      to do this for you - this is basically the help I'm volunteering
      for Debian Lex - sorry for beeing addicted to other Blends more
      closely and spare time just has a limit.)
   4. Start packaging the software mentioned in 3. - ask for help on
      debian-mentors@lists.debian.org for technical help.
   5. Try to get more people involved into Debian Lex to make it a real
      project rather than a very low volume mailing list.

Kind regards

   Andreas.

[1] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/lex/trunk/debian-lex/tasks

--
http://fam-tille.de