Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-lex

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 09:37 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Yep.  We just need somebody who is willing to do some work.  It is not
> much for a start - and I'd volunteer to give some technical help to
> support a kick start.  The first step is IMHO to find the packages inside
> Debian which are useful for lawyers and put them in some categories.
> As a beginning even a Wiki might serve as basic brain storming.

I'd be happy to help start writing into such a wiki, and invite others
to join.

> While you most probably need much better than me what has to be done
> I'd suggest to start with those things that are just there and work on
> some kind of todo list what has to be done.  If the project got some
> structure and you were able to gather some supporters you can start
> working down this list together.  This strategy has turned out to be
> successful in the case of Debian Med.  You might perfectly assume that
> the situation with Free medical Software is quite similar to those for
> lawyers - it is just hard and the problem you will not find many Free
> Software exerts who are able and willing to join your project.  But
> you have to find and join them if your project should have any chance.
> In Debian Med we had the nice benefit to have a solid column of micro
> biological software which is stronger because of the development at
> universities and research institutes.  In the first phase we ranked
> around this solid column until other fields were starting to catch up.
> I have no idea whether this is applicable for Debian Lex - perhaps
> starting with some general office related stuff and adding the law
> specific things might be a good idea.
Maybe there is an equivalent catalyzing issue - I don't know what it
would be either. The debian-lex project had (and still has) a list of
categories on its web page. That could be a starting point for an
updated list.

Elaine