feedback wanted re: new coordinator

[I am not subscribed to this list; please CC me on replies.]

Hi folks,

Jeroen de Kreek recently contacted me and volunteered to serve as the new
coordinator.

In reviewing the list traffic for the past few months via the list
archives, I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity.  (Indeed, the need for a
new coordinator was stated in August 2005[1].)

There are at least two ways this CDD project could appoint a new
coordinator:

1) Simply reach an internal consensus and do it under your own authority.
debian-lex has been self-organized from its inception, and as long as it
isn't a problem for the rest of the Project (which it doesn't appear to
be), I don't perceive any problem with this continuing.

2) I could formally appoint a new coordinator in my capacity as DPL.  This
might be the right thing to do if there is a dispute over succession or
leadership of the group, or if the group simply would rather have the
position formally delegated under the Constitution[2].

Since I have not been asked to intervene in the affairs of debian-lex, the
choice between the above is really up to the group members.

If you would like me to appoint a new coordinator, I will need two things:

* a description of the role, including its powers and responsibilities
* to know if anyone else is interested in the role, so that a mechanism for
  deciding among multiple candidates can be developed and exercised if
  necessary

Such a "mechanism" could be pretty simple; it could be the DPL's arbitrary
decree if the role is sincerely but not bitterly contested, and everyone is
willing to abide by such a process.  More elaborate methods, up to and
including something similar to Debian's General Resolution process, could
also be used.

How we proceed is really up to the participants in this process; let me
know how you need me to serve your needs.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-lex/
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution

--
G. Branden Robinson