Re: Digital Voice recorder

As I said in my last reply post, these items come from the technolawyer.com mailing list. They are reviews of hardware used for digital dictation that may be helpful in determining what there is out that could be looked at as possible linux hardware. It would be most useful to develope pacakages to provide this service. Bear in mind that the reviewers quoted below are using a non-linux operating system:

1.=================

*2. FRANK LANIGAN, REVIEW: OLYMPUS DS330 & DICTANET COMBO*

TechnoLawyer member Ted Boxer asks: "Quite timely as my Norelco (now Phillips) tape unit just bit the dust and I am starting the search, just for digital dictation without voice recognition. The only user I know has an Olympus DS 330 system. He likes it but noted that the volume seems low (but not to his secretary) and his secretary said that the foot pedal on the AS300Pro is tinny compared to their prior Sony tape unit. He also said that it took his office (two lawyers and one secretary) about a month to get the kinks of the system. I would be interested in hearing from others who have made the switch."

Dan Scott responded:
"I have been using the Olympus DS-3000 for over a year. It has really made my life and the life of my staff much smoother."

We also use the Olympus DS330 with a digital dictation system from DictaNet <http://www.dictanet.com>, a German company very popular with European lawyers. We installed the system earlier this year in our two offices in Ireland and it has been a success from day 1. DictaNet is compatible with most industry standard hand-held digital recorders including Olympus and Philips. Files are standard .wav with reasonable compression. We purchased for it's capacity to pool typing requirements and in terms of performance, "it does exactly what it says on the can."

The Olympus DS330 can be used independently of the system and downloaded by using a cradle which loads directly to DictaNet, (cleaning out the dictation once it is loaded on the system) and is so simple to operate that "even a lawyer can use it"! It can also be directly connected to the PC and acts as a direct recording microphone to the DictaNet dictation system. We have found the Olympus recording quality to be so good that it can be used also with the speech recognition engine (Dragon) attached to DictaNet.

Regards,

Frank Lanigan
Malcomson Law, Solicitors, Court Place, Carlow, Ireland
Tel +353 (0)59 9131745
Fax 9143695
Email franklanigan@mlaw.ie <mailto:franklanigan@mlaw.ie>

and

Malcomson Law, Iceland House, Arran Court, Smithfield, Dublin 7,
Ireland.
Tel +353 (0)1 8744422 Fax 8744055

Website www.mlaw.ie <http://www.mlaw.ie>

2.==========================*
\
DAN SCOTT, REVIEW: OLYMPUS DS-330 DIGITAL VOICE RECORDER*

TechnoLawyer member Ted Boxer asks: "Quite timely as my Norelco (now Phillips) tape unit just bit the dust and I am starting the search, just for digital dictation without voice recognition. The only user I know has an Olympus DS 330 system. He likes it but noted that the volume seems low (but not to his secretary) and his secretary said that the foot pedal on the AS300Pro is tinny compared to their prior Sony tape unit. He also said that it took his office (two lawyers and one secretary) about a month to get the kinks of the system. I would be interested in hearing from others who have made the switch."

I have been using the Olympus DS-3000 for over a year. It has really made my life and the life of my staff much smoother. We had essentially not significant difficulty getting it up and running. I can now travel, receive my scanned mail by e-mail, dictate and e-mail the voice files back for preparation. I've never had any complaints from staff about volume. I love the opportunity put dication in separate folders. If you have "emergency" dication, just put it another folder on the DS-3000 then you know what to quickly download. I love it!

Dan Scott
cdscott1@bellsouth.net <mailto:cdscott1@bellsouth.net>

[CM's Note: Learn more about the Olympus DS-330 Digital Voice Recorder <http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&bc=11&product=859>. -- Neil J. Squillante, njs@peerviews.com <mailto:njs@peerviews.com>]

3.===============================

*1. IRV LAMEL, REVIEW: OLYMPUS DS 330 DIGITAL DICTATION SYSTEM*

TechnoLawyer member Ted Boxer asks: "Quite timely as my Norelco (now Phillips) tape unit just bit the dust and I am starting the search, just for digital dictation without voice recognition. The only user I know has an Olympus DS 330 system. He likes it but noted that the volume seems low (but not to his secretary) and his secretary said that the foot pedal on the AS300Pro is tinny compared to their prior Sony tape unit. He also said that it took his office (two lawyers and one secretary) about a month to get the kinks of the system. I would be interested in hearing from others who have made the switch."

In response to Ted Baxter's question regarding digital dictation and, specifically, the Olympus DS 330 system, I started using it in my office about 6 months ago. We run a server with three stations, my laptop, my paralegal's desktop and a secretary's desktop. The program is loaded on each station with the cradle at my desk. I dictate into the handheld, place it on the cradle and load the dictation into the program on my laptop. There are subdirectories for each staff member in a directory titled "Dictation" on the server. I export the dictation to the subdirectory of the staff I want to type the dictation or perform the task discussed in the dictation. When the staff completes the dictation, she puts it in my Review folder on the server. She also moves the digital dictation file to a folder titled "Completed Dictation" which is preserved until the document is finalized and sent out.

The system is fast and efficient. No more lost or misplaced tapes. No more tapes sitting on my desk because I was distracted by a phone call after completing the dictation. No more running the tape to one of their desks. I stay at my desk and transfer the file electronically and instantly. In addition, when I installed the system I had not yet purchased the footpedals. Both my secretary and paralegal declined the offer of footpedals within a few days. They find it easier to use the system with the keyboard controls. It is a great system and I would never go back to tapes.

Irv J. Lamel, Esquire
95 Merrick Way
Suite 100
Coral Gables, Florida 33134

Tel. 305 443-5212
Fax 305 443-2075
Email IJLamel@aol.com <mailto:IJLamel@aol.com>

4.============================*

NATURALLYSPEAKING & WORDPERFECT; QUIKSCRIBE*

TechnoLawyer asked: "Did you begin using a new dictation and/or speech recognition solution in the past 6 months? If so, please post a review and your thoughts on this technology in general?"

Susan W. Cox wrote:
"Our office has converted to a digital dictation/speech recognition dictation system. We are using the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional and the latest Sony digital dictation with a WavPedal for our assistants.... For me, it has been time-consuming and I can probably type faster than using the system. For those non-typists in my firm, it has really helped them use the computer. Part of my problem is that there is a glitch between the Dragon and my WordPerfect 10; other members are using Word and don't have the problem...."

I'm curious as to what version and edition of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Version you are running with the problems you are reporting. Dragon 7, and particularly 7.3, is a wonderful product, with or without the integration of a digital dictation system. You are mistaken about not being able to save/transfer your training files when the program is reloaded. You can do that by going to the NaturallySpeaking menu, Manage Users, highlighting the User you wish to save, then clicking Advanced and Export. After you reload the software, simply do an import of that file.

Regarding your problems with WordPerfect, there are a few intermittent problem with WP 10 & 11 and DNS when various commands are executed. In particular, the "Select Word or Phrase" command does not always highlight the object intended. Similarly, the post-dictation formatting commands "Bold That", "Cap That" etc., do not always work reliably. I'm told that it is due to the way WP "hides" their formatting instructions. These issues are often related to specific codes, as tech support says, and fixes are often possible. Dictate into the template, test Select-and-Say in various locations in the document to see where it breaks down, turn on Reveal Codes and look at that area of the document, and delete any unusual codes or codes that don't seem to do anything useful. Usually the same visual result can be achieved by using different codes.

Regarding digital dictation, I think that many folks are missing the boat on the best product on the market, because it is Australian and not as widely known. The product is Quikscribe and is not only beautifully simple to use with both PC-based recorders and mobile Olympus recorders, but it is rich in features for those users who desire a more sophisticated product. The price is extremely reasonable and the support out of Australia is outstanding. I encourage anyone evaluating digital transcription systems to include this product in their comparison.

Britt L. Knuttgen
britt@automatedhorizons.net <mailto:britt@automatedhorizons.net>
Telephone: 540-767-7600
Direct Dial: 540-767-7624