Re: Digital Voice recorder

Mail to your own address bounced Olivier, so this goes to the mailing list . . . .

Olivier Subilia wrote:

Maybe what follows is off-topic, but I really don't know where to post (tried
many, many newsgroups allready...). Maybe lawyers in this group have
experience.

I'm desperately searching for a good digital voice recorder that:

- writes files in non proprietary format (or at least format readable on
linux, eg mp3);
- works on linux, if possible usable like an usb-key;
- has good sound quality;
- has sound editing features (eg can rewind and insert speech just like an
analogic one, without creating a new file each time you push the stop or
rewind button).

Some tests I've allready made:

- Dictaphone m5215. OK for mass storage device, OK for usability and sound
quality, but register in .dss format (proprietary:
Dictaphone/Olympus/Grundig).

- Olympus DM-20: OK for mass storage device, OK for format (wma) but not
really a dictaphone (if you dictate, rewind, replay, you can't dictate over
what you've allready dictated, you have to create a new file).

Solutions like "use your audio card to record" doesn't work (for efficiency,
I want to be able to have small buttons in one hand). Solutions like "use
the Dictaphone modele and record in ogg format via sound card" is ways to
complicate for daily using, and loose to much sound quality.

I work in a small office (ten persons) and decided everybody to entirely
switch on linux. Everything works fine except problems with recording
devices: it's impossible to find digital ones that don't need Windows.

Things that would be ok:

- dss player under linux that could be fully controled with keyboard;

- dss to anything-possible-other-than-dss software under linux:

- conversion software which would work with wine "out of the box" (my
partners know that a computer is a box with one button to power on and a
mouse to do the rest...).

Thanks for every help

Olivier

Hello Olivier

I am interested in the same question.

I have some posts to the Technolawyer list at my office I will pass on to you when I am next there (tomorrow) that review some of these products.

There is an outfit in Australia called Qwikscribe http://www.quikscribe.com/recorder.htm that offers a windows package that is more or less what I would like to see available in Linux.

There are some links about digital dictation on my home web page at http://lunar.ca/law.html (scroll down to digital dictation) that may be of some use. They may not be current and there is nothing there about Linux but they may give you some background ideas.

I am quite interested in all this and will look forward to hearing of any progress you make.

--
Ken Walker, Qualicum Beach, BC
http://lunar.ca

My OpenPGP Key:  https://www.biglumber.com/x/web?qs=0x561ADA409E791EEE