Re: Digital Signatures - Acrobat

Ken Walker said on Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 06:19:32PM +0000,:

 > I like what I see in OpenOffice and have plans to switch the support staff
 > over to the windows version of that package and then, if that works out, go
 > to an all Linux network.

Good strategy there.

 > Suddenly  though, there  is a  problem.   Our Law  Society and  the
 > provincial government  have developed a  new system for  land title
 > registrations   (  http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/landtitle/EFS_web_site/)
 > and for corporate registry filings (
 > http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/landtitle/EFS_web_site/)

That is a very bad thing.

See http://www.gnu.org.in/philosophy/mitrules.html

 > The Land Title system require digital signatures and use pdf format
 > files for documents submitted.  I am not sure at this point whether
 > the  Corporate Registry  requires digital  signatures.  The  use of
 > Acrobat  Standard v6 is  required for  Land Titles  and it  is only
 > available in MSWindows.  See http://www.juricert.com/j2a/efs.htm.

It is a  very bad thing for governments to abdicate  the job of laying
down   standards  and   worse,  hand   over  sovereign   functions  to
non-sovereign bodies.

 > Generally the  various registries do  not seem to recommend  use of
 > anything but Windows and Mac software:

Which is bad  again. This is a  form of denial of the  right to access
justice  (ok -  not exactly  the judiciary,  but once  here,  the same
mentality will  be carried over to  the judiciary too,  IMO) to people
who use non-monopoly software.

 > software  capable of  editing  pdf files  and  attaching a  digital
 > signature the same way that Acrobat Standard does.

What  is the  `Acrobat Standard'??   I have  come across  the portable
document standard. It is very  bad that the society calls it something
different.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,