Re: How to get involved

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 10:27, Nigel Symes wrote:
> I just read the smh article and thought I'd like to be involved in
> this.
>
> What's the best process to do this, i.e. What downloads etc will I
> need before I can start contributing (yes I am a total newbie when it
> comes to Debian but I already use OOo and I'm certainly no newbie to
> C++).
>
> Look forward to some direction,

You have come in at the ground floor (since the project was really just
a proposal until the mailing list was opened the other day) so there
isn't anything to download to start contributing, unless you need to
download the software needed to create Debian packages (in which case
you will find this useful: http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/).

But, a good place to start is to look at the list of packages at
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-lex/software.html and see if there is
any existing project that you would like to help package.  A lot of what
is listed there is probably moribund or otherwise unreleasable, and we
need to work out what is worth salvaging and what isn't.  There are a
number of PHP packages and I don't know PHP, so someone to look at those
would be good.

Both postings so far have mentioned OpenOffice.org, and I agree that
this is going to be central.  Developing some form of document
automation which draws data from our repository of client/matter
information could be a killer-app for Debian-Lex.  On the other hand,
this is one of the harder jobs that we have to do, unless someone has
already developed something along these lines.  Has anyone done so?

Also on OpenOffice.org, what do people think about including packages of
templates and autotext containing basic forms and precedents for a
particular jurisdiction?  This strays a bit far from what is usually
packaged for Debian, although it is not entirely unprecedented, and
anyway, sub-projects like ours are a good place to such a precedent.

On another matter, there doesn't seem to be a way of telling how many
people have subscribed since my mailout went out, so if you have joined
us since then please email the list and introduce yourself.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy@Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)