Re: Fonts that must be purchased - nonfree?

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 05:22:17PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 6/11/23 16:37, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 01:19:48PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was stumbled on Söhne font collection, primarily due to ChatGPT
> >> uses it for its web interface. I'd like to also use it for hypothetical
> >> web app (let's name it foodb) to be packaged in Debian (due to design
> >> constraints). However, in order to acquire the font, I have to buy it [1]
> >> (buy its license). Can the font be included in Debian package of foodb
> >> (or as separate package), or is it non-free?
> >>

> > This would be permanently non-free because it couldn't be distributed
> > without individuals purchasing the fonts. Please consider using free
> > fonts that already exist within Debian / could be freely packaged and
> > distributed.
> >

> Hi Andy, thanks for the answer.
>
> Several questions remain:
>
> * The foodb upstream has already bought the font license (in case
>   of Söhne, he bought desktop and web license). If I as Debian packager
>   wants to also distribute Söhne for the sake of foodb (under license
>   in the name of Debian), at least both licenses and OEM license must
>   also be purchased, IMO. Is both all licenses acceptable?

That's a licence personal to him: you can't rely on it. The best thing to
do is to patch foodb and substitute a free font.

> * With Debian distributing this commercial font, there is a "pirating"
>   loophole that someone else can extract the font files and distributing
>   them freely on various sites (including torrent and shady ones) with
>   Debian licensee attached. What do you think?

This is *precisely* why the Debian Free Software Guidelines exist
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFreeSoftwareGuidelines

> * Supposed that the foodb upstream refuses to change the font choice
>   (and insists on Söhne) due to his preference when I request the
>   change after reading this fact. What can I do about it?

He doesn't have to change his preferences: if his code is free and you
are free to modify it for your preferences, *you* modify it.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater