Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

I was accused in public of wrongdoing on the
Debian bug tracking system which is hosted
on a public, Debian website in response to a
bug report I made.

Since Debian's policy is to keep everything
on its website public, and I was told every
message I send regarding Debian must be
put on Debian's public forums, then how
can I try and work out a disagreement with
someone in private emails instead of needing
to expose the dispute in public with all the
negativity, slander, and defamation that
might entail?

I am willing to cooperate with anyone to help
improve Debian software, but only if they
agree to not accuse me in public of wrongdoing
without first discussing the matter with me
in a private email or other private forum.

I am not interested in suing Debian for what
happened to me, but I would not be surprised
if in the U.S. eventually Debian will get sued
unless it scrubs its website of some of the
comments people make about each other on
Debian public forums.

Thoughts?