Re: Hosting the original youtube-dl sources on salsa?

Rogério,

First, thank you for maintaining youtube-dl.

Second, I get your concern, especially since one of your forks was listed.

In general I think my advice would be to not do anything right now.

There are grounds to challenge the takedown as DMCA overreach. [1] I
think GitHub is going to support such a challenge. [2] So you will
want to see how that plays out.

It has been suggested there may be ways to avoid the alleged
infringement by removing links and comments that could be seen as
"promoting" copyright infringement, which may be something you should
consider in the future.

You could bring your own challenge for the removal of your fork, but I
think the prudent move is to wait and see what upstream does, they
likely have more resources going their way and a strategy, e.g.
challenging, modifying code, etc.

So my suggestion would be to wait and see for now.

As a maintainer I would recommend against re-uploading "youtube-dl" to
GitHub in any way since it was already the subject of one takedown, at
least until there is more clarity on the situation. [3]

But I do not see the need to remove anything else from GitHub, like
"pkg-youtube-dl", or salsa at this time.

Others should weigh in.

Hayden Barnes

1: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20201023/19035045569/riaa-tosses-bogus-claim-github-to-get-video-downloading-software-removed.shtml
2: https://torrentfreak.com/riaas-youtube-dl-takedown-ticks-of-developers-and-githubs-ceo-201027/
3: As a private citizen, I made my own fork of youtube-dl on GitHub in protest.