Re: Hosting the original youtube-dl sources on salsa?

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 04:59:53PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Since the tree was taken down (and, to boot, of the 18 forks listed in the
> takedown request, mine was explicitly listed), I fear that me uploading the
> lastest tree to GitHub is asking for trouble.
>
> Given this situation, can I upload a backup of youtube-dl to salsa under my
> user account?  I already maintain the packaging of youtube-dl in a different
> repository that is both on GitHub and on salsa. Should I take it down from
> salsa?

>From an individual point of view, I strongly support you uploading the
tree to as many places as you feel like, and I consider it the Debian
project's duty to defend that.

The RIAA seems to be targeting the most vulnerable and leat likely to
defend themselves, otherweise they would be targeting those who upload
content violating copyright laws instead on free software maintainers.

(Also, there is YouTube Premium which allows for downloading any video
ypu like, so in the view of the RIAA, why is that acceptable?).

IANAL but as a project member I strongly encourage you and the project
defending your right to produce free software alternatives, given that
commercial software doing the same thing seems to be ok!

-nik