License of "debian/" directories

I'm currently asking my employer to let me upstream some changes I've got to some Debian packaging. Usually, they like to know what the license is.

What's the license of "debian/" directories in source packages? Not for native packages, but the packaging for third-party software. Is it the same as the upstream code, or does Debian own the copyright and have a particular license for that, or what?

I looked over the Policy Manual and the Legal FAQ, but didn't see an answer. Is this something that's been discussed before?

Best,
joelh