Re: Is this BSD-3-Clause Variant DFSG-compliant?

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:34 PM Eriberto Mota wrote:

> For me it is not DFSG-compatible because I can't see a clause about
> allowing modifications in source code.

I brought this up on debian-legal a while ago:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/a8259f8fb4348c790076ffcaf8721ecba7c714a3.camel@debian.org

Since then I talked to one of RedHat's lawyers and they mentioned that
they have dealt with this problem too and concluded that these
licenses were intended to cover modification. The current wording of
the initial part of the BSD license reflects an attempt to correct an
earlier mistake (i.e. someone pointed out the error and Berkeley added
"with or without modification"). Also note that the anti-endorsement
clause implies a right to modify.

--
bye,
pabs