Re: GPL and the "system library" exception

On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 13:17 +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Git in Debian actually links (L)GPL-3+ libraries:
>
> /usr/lib/git-core/git-remote-https links libtasn1.so.6; libtasn1.so.6
> is distributed under non-trivial terms (according to its Debian
> copyright file):
>
> The library is licensed under LGPL-2+.1, but build scripts are licensed
> under GPL-3+.  It cannot be distributed under the terms of the GPL-2 as
> the GPL-2 requires the complete source to be distributed under terms
> compatible with the GPL-2; "complete source" explicitly includes build
> scripts.
>
> So it looks to me like libtasn1.so.6 is effectively only distributable
> under terms of the (L)GPL-3+, i.e. under terms incompatible with the
> GPL-2 Git uses.

Actually libtasn1.so.6 has files only distributable under GPL-3+:
lib/ASN.c is licensed under two alternatives:

Either GPL-3+.

Or under terms with restrictions that don't seem compatible with the
GPL or LGPL ("under terms of your choice, so long as that work isn't
itself a parser generator using the skeleton or a modified version
thereof as a parser skeleton").

Ansgar
  (I guess I should stop looking for problems...)