Re: anti-tarball clause and GPL

On 2019/07/23 19:49, Adam Borowski wrote:
> ##################
> I do not consider a flat tarball to be a preferred form for modification.
> Thus, like any non-source form, it must be accompanied by a way to obtain
> the actual form for modification.  There are many such ways -- unless you
> distribute the software in highly unusual circumstances, a link to a
> network server suffices; see the text of the GPL for further details.
> ##################
<snip>
> Thoughts?

It's a non-issue, really. Tarballs are trivial to extract, and doesn't
block a developer from working on the source in any meaningful way.

This is very different to say, minified javascript that is not
considered source code because you can't practically work with that as
source.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage