Re: [License] Gsas-II

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 07:16:42 +0000 Landry, Walter wrote:

> Ben Finney writes:
> >> * Distribution of changed, modified or derivative works based on
> >>   GSAS-II grants the GSAS-II copyright holder unrestricted permission
> >>   to include any, or all, new and changed code in future GSAS-II
> >>   releases.
> >
> > This is, IIUC, met by granting every recipient (including GSAS-II) this
> > same license. This seems to be a weaker copyleft (one specific party
> > must receive the same license). I think this is okay, if imbalanced.
>
> It is icky.  However, Ocaml, which is in main, has a clause (3b) with a
> similar effect:
>
>   https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/o/ocaml/ocaml_4.01.0-5_copyright

Are you referring to the following QPL clause?

[...]
| [3.] b. When modifications to the Software are released under this
|      license, a non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to the
|      initial developer of the Software to distribute your
|      modification in future versions of the Software provided such
|      versions remain available under these terms in addition to any
|      other license(s) of the initial developer.
[...]

I think this clause is not so similar to the one under examination here.

First of all, it does not state that you grant an "unrestricted"
permission. Secondly, the right is granted "provided such
versions remain available under these terms", although it also
says "in addition to any other license(s) of the initial developer",
unfortunately.

Anyway, the [QPL] is deemed [non-free], or, at least, [controversial].
At least one package was [moved] to non-free, because of the
non-freeness of the QPL.

[QPL]: <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00157.html>
[non-free]: <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00339.html>
[controversial]: <https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Q_Public_License_.28QPL.29.2C_Version_1.0>
[moved]: <https://bugs.debian.org/251983>

Sure, ocaml is in main, but it seems to no longer be released
under the terms of the QPL.
It [seems] to be under the GNU LGPL v2.1 now.

[seems]: <https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/74e1a85b729c81e0c3ad438acb03fafa59978886/LICENSE>

I think the debian/copyright file of the ocaml Debian package is no
longer accurate and should be reviewed and updated.
Any volunteers to file a bug report on the Debian BTS?

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!