Re: [License] Gsas-II

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:18:58 +0000 MARIE Alexandre wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Alexandre,
thanks for caring about software freedom.

> I would like to know if the license of Gsas-II is free to use.

I assume you are asking whether software solely licensed under
the quoted terms may comply with the DFSG.

> Here is the license :
>  General Structure Analysis System - II (GSAS-II)
>                          OPEN SOURCE LICENSE

This looks like a license specifically designed for one single software
package. Not a good start.
Personally, I would recommend the copyright holders to switch to
a well known and well vetted license suitable for releasing Free
Software (such as the GNU GPL, for instance).

[...]
> * Distribution of changed, modified or derivative works based on
>   GSAS-II grants the GSAS-II copyright holder unrestricted permission
>   to include any, or all, new and changed code in future GSAS-II
>   releases.

This does not seem to meet the DFSG.
I think it fails to meet DFSG#3, because, if I choose to distribute a
derived work to the original sofware copyright holder, I cannot do so
"under the same terms as the license of the original software": I am
forced to grant them unlimited rights over my modifications, which is a
much more permissive "license" than the terms of the license of the
original software.

> * Redistributions that include binary forms must include all relevant
>   source code
[...]

This looks non-free: it completely forbids binary distribution,
even when source is made available. It only allows the distribution
of a binary+source bundle.

This clause would even be violated by the Debian mirror infrastructure
(should GSAS-II be included in Debian), unless the source were bundled
inside the binary .deb packages (which is not the usual way software
is packaged for Debian...)!

[...]
> Thanks in advance for your help.

You're welcome.

P.S.: Please note that what I expressed are my own personal opinions
      and not an official statement from the Debian Project.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!