Re: Public domain and DSFGness

David Given <dg@cowlark.com> writes:

> I'm doing some historical data preservation work […] I'm hoping to be
> able to produce a Debian package containing this stuff eventually for
> use in emulators.

Thank you for promoting the preservation and spread of free software.

> Back then people were really slack about licensing. Typically
> So: from Debian's perspective, what's the degree of proof I need to
> provide in order to demonstrate DSFG-ness of works such as this?

This is difficult to discuss in the abstract, because it so often
depends on peculiarities of the specific works and the documentation
surrounding them.

We try to keep these discussions to specific works that are actually
proposed to enter Debian.

Is there a specific work we can examine that you are working to package
for Debian?

--
 \      “I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without |
  `\   hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd |