Re: Does Debian itself have a license?

Hi Hong,

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 12:32:28PM -0700, Hong Xu wrote:
> On 09/08/2018 09:51 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Hong Xu <hong@topbug.net> writes:
> >
> >> I understand that each piece of software has its own license in Debian
> >> and they can be easily looked up. However, I have trouble finding the
> >> license of the Debian itself, e.g., metadata of packages, default
> >> configuration files created by the Debian project, etc. Can you
> >> provide any information on that? Thanks!
> >
> > My understanding is that the entire operating system is delivered as
> > packages, and each package declares its copyright information in its
> > ‘/usr/share/doc/$PACKAGENAME/copyright’ document.

Let's use the octave example.  In /usr/share/doc/octave/copyright you'll
find the section "Files: debian/*".  This is the copyright for the
Debian portions of the source package.  Sometimes there were be
debian/patches/custom_debian_config.patch which modifies the upstream
source.  Such patches also fall under the copyright of
"Files:debian/*" unless otherwise specified. [1]

Unfortunately the it's not nearly as clear for package which don't use
copyright format 1.0...

> > The “metadata of packages” I am not sure what you mean? To my knowledge
> > all the metadata is part of the source form of the package, and so is
> > subject to the license conditions described for that package. Is there
> > something else you refer to as “metadata of packages”?
>
> The metadata of packages include information package descriptions,
> dependencies, etc. that were created by Debian developers. It seems to
> me that the copyright file of package does not describe the license of
> this information since the copyright holder seems to be always the
> upstream copyright holders. For example, /usr/share/doc/bash/copyright
> reads "Copyright (C) 1987-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc." Although
> the author of the packaging "Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>" is
> mentioned, there is no license claimed for his packaging work.

It sounds like you're saying "metadata of the [binary] packages".
They're not metadata for source packages, where they are actual files.
Eg: '$ apt source octave'.  In a non-native (the majority of packages)
Debian source package the Debian bits are also in a separate tarball
from the upstream one. eg:
  http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/octave/octave_4.0.3-3.debian.tar.xz
vs
  http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/octave/octave_4.0.3.orig.tar.xz

> > The same would be true for any default configuration files. They will be
> > auto-generated (maybe even, simply copied) from some files installed
> > from a specific package, and so are subject to whatever general license
> > conditions apply for each package.
>
> As far as I know, there are a lot of cases where default configuration
> files in Debian are handcrafted, either from scratch or modified from
> those in the upstream package. For example, the file octave.conf
> (installed to /etc/octave.conf) in the source package of octave seems to
> be manually modified from the upstream configuration file and its header
> reads:

octave-4.0.3/debian/octave.conf.  See [1].

Cheers,
Nicholas