Re: Does Debian itself have a license?

Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> writes:
> My understanding is that the entire operating system is delivered as
> packages, and each package declares its copyright information in its
> ‘/usr/share/doc/$PACKAGENAME/copyright’ document.

This however covers only the *source* of the package, not the binary
packages. There is no way to find out the license of the binary packages
without checking very carefully the sources and the way the package is
created. So, the end user does not know what he is allowed to do with a
certain (binary) Debian software package.

Best

Ole