ZFS on Linux packaging: SPL and ZFS upstream merge

Hello,

Upstream ZFS on Linux developers have opted to merge the SPL and ZFS
source [1]. Discussion [2] about packaging for ZFS git-master has
lead to concern over how exactly this should be tracked.

Following upstream's decision will minimize Debian user's exposure to
possible packaging bugs, but given the gray area the ZFS occupies,
it would be nice to have a more in-depth conversation. I've opened a
bug [3] for the main ZFS on Linux package because this will eventually
affect that package (and it would be nice to get this out of the way
ASAP, rather than leaving Debian ZFS users stranded).

My personal thoughts are that just simply putting the built binaries
in a Debian package together should introduce no additional concerns.
But I am not a lawyer.

Antonio

[1] https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/commit/1272941f49321bcb7b26025670720c98785427ee
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891890