Re: JPL Planetary Ephemeris DE405

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:51:55PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> I read that article 7 that you cited as: the maker of a database has the
> right to protect it -- which however needs him to be active (which is
> not the case for the JPL).

Okay, feel free to include databases of facts in Debian if you think
it's safe, I'll feel free to blacklist those packages, and everyone is
happy.

In this particular case, it may be safe, I don't know the JPL database,
and it seems that it cames from the US. My email was to disagree with
your statement that a collection of facts can't be copyrighted. The
Directive is a document that members of EU need to comply by modifying
their local laws (usually by amending copyright laws), which, to make
things more complicated, the exact terms vary between each EU member. If
you are still convinced that it can't be copyrighted and they are safe,
well, there is nothing more that I can say, go ahead and use them. For
my part, I've seen a case of copyright sucesfully applied to a
completely automated list of facts, and that's enough for me to be
convinced of the opposite.

I still think that recommending them for inclusion in Debian without
properly analyzing each case and the author intents,

It seems that you know the directives in EU (I though at first that you
were not aware of them), and you still defend that they are safe, which
is fine, you are free to have your opinion. I'm still thinking that not
taking seriously the database laws, and including them in Debian without
properly analyzing each case and author intents is quite unfortunate,
though.