Re: GPL-2+ with additional trademark spice

This is allowed, but it is not an exception or modification to the GPL. You cannot remove permissions from the GPL under any circumstances. Rather, this is allowed because the GPL is, in no way, a trademark license. If anything, the above comment merely clarifies that fact. While many projects are not trademarked, or, if they are, do not aggressively enforce their trademarks, some are and do, and this is fine.

See, for example, Kodi/XMBC's trademark policy FAQ: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy_FAQ. They enforce their policy because their application is sometimes used for illegal means, and if it is, they don't want to be associated with this illegal action.

This is perfectly consistent with the DFSG (see 4) https://www.debian.org/social_contract. It is also allowed under the FSD ("Thus, it is acceptable for the license to require that you change the name of the modified version, remove a logo, or identify your modifications as yours.", https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html) and the OSD (again, see 4) https://opensource.org/osd.

In the specific case of RedHat -- I trust you've heard of CentOS? CentOS is essentially RedHat with the RedHat trademarks removed.

Daniel J. Hakimi
B.S. Philosophy, RPI 2012
B.S. Computer Science, RPI 2012
J.D. Cardozo Law 2015