Re: Hacking License
thanks to the public and private advices that I received on the last
version, I further improved the Hacking License.
1. clarified the permission granted to organizations (on behalf of
2. removed the name change requirement
3. extended the permissions and patent licenses granted to the Users
to the copyright holders of the Inspiring Hacks
4. excluded the freely available know-how from the tools to be made
available to the users (see 3.4)
Does this license match the DFSG?
Would a package for my library so licensed be included in Debian?
If not, why?
(these are my key concerns right now but further questions, criticisms
and suggestions are still welcome!)
The canonical URI is still at http://www.tesio.it/documents/HACK.txt
PS: Thanks everybody for the help!
Our Curiosity serves Humanity through Freedom, Candor and Communion.
This license grants you the right to hack with us, to explore ways we
ignore and to challenge our assumptions by teaching us what you will learn.
For the purpose of this License:
- "License" refers to this License.
- "Copyright" means copyright-like laws that apply to other literary works.
- "Hack" refers to the software, the documentation and the contents
distributed under this License.
- "Hacker" refers to any Copyright holder of the Hack.
- "Human" is every live being with humans among its genetic ancestors.
- "Application" refers to a set of software exchanging data.
- "Runtime" refers to any runtime system, any operating system, any
virtual machine and/or any interpreter that is required to run the Hack.
- "Source" refers to the human-readable form of a software which is the
most convenient for people to study and modify, and that can be used
to generate a new identical copy of the software itself.
- "User" refers to any human receiving a copy of the Hack or its source
and/or performing any action permitted by this License.
- To "study" a software means to perform any activity that could help
the User to deeply understand it, to understand how to modify it or to
explain its usage and inner working to other Users.
- To "copy" means to create an new exact copy of a work, for any purpose
and on any medium, even after applying any lossless transformation to it,
including, but not limited to, compression or encryption.
- To "convey" means to perform any action that might enable other humans
to copy a work and/or to obtain or receive copies of it.
- To "distribute" means any action that enables any other human to perform
any of the activities permitted by this License.
- To "use" a software means to generate a new copy of the software from
its source, to run it for any purpose, to install it, to interact with
it through any medium or proxy (even asynchronously), to provide data
used for its input or to consume its output (or any part of it), and/or
to store and use a Derived Work in place of the software itself.
- To "wrap" a software means to integrate it into an Application.
The programs that collect, store, transform and/or transfer data
for the User or between the User and the Hack are called "Wrappers".
Wrappers do not include any program or library that Users can find in
off-the-shelf distributions of the required Runtime, but include any
modified version of such programs, libraries, Runtime that are required
to run the Application.
The license of a Wrapper is compatible with this License if it grants
to the Users access to its source and the right to study, copy, use,
wrap, modify and/or distribute the Wrapper and/or the Application
and/or any modified version of them, in any form.
- To "modify" a software means to perform any action that would require
Copyright permission, except for studying, copying, using, wrapping
and distributing the software, including, but not limited to, to adapt
all or part of the software, to translate all or part of it to a
different language or form, to create or modify its documentation,
to refactor its source, or to combine the software or parts of it with
other works. The resulting work is called a "Derived Work", whereas
"Inspiring Hacks" are the original works modified to create it.
Permission is hereby granted to any User of the Hack to study, copy, use,
wrap, modify and/or distribute the Hack, and to distribute any Derived Work
under this License but clearly informing recipients about the differences
with the Hack.
A patent License to perform each and every of the actions permitted above
is granted to any User under the Hackers' essential patent claims.
If the Hack is a Derived Work, the Hackers grant to the copyright holders
of the Inspiring Hacks all permissions and patent Licenses granted to the
Users of the Hack, and all rights, title and interests in any copyright
the Hackers have in the Hack to the extent permitted by Law.
All of these grants are subject to the Conditions below, free of charge,
non-exclusive, valid everywhere in the Universe, irrevocable (provided the
stated Conditions are met), royalty-free and can be transferred to third
parties with the Hack, its source or any Derived Work for no charge.
Organizations may copy and/or convey the Hack on behalf of their members
and under this License. No other permission is granted to organizations.
This License does not grant any rights in the names, trade names,
trademarks, service marks, or logos of the Hackers, except as required
for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Hack
and reproducing the content of the copyright notice.
The grants provided by this License are subject to the following conditions:
1. The Hackers' copyright notice and this License shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Hack and of any Derived Work.
2. The source of the Hack shall be made available with the Hack and/or
by other reasonable means to every User, according to this License
and without additional constraints or requirements, such as further
agreements, royalties or other fee.
3. All Wrappers used to integrate the Hack into an Application shall be
made available (either with the Hack and/or by other reasonable means)
to every User under either this License or compatible ones, so that
Users can modify and/or run the whole Application on their own hardware.
4. The tools, dependencies and know-how required to perform any of the
activities permitted by this License shall be made available to the
User with the source of the Hack (except for the tools, dependencies
and know-how that are already available to every User either free of
charge or in off-the-shelf distributions of the Runtime) and without
additional constraints or requirements, such as further agreements, any
royalty or other fee.
5. No restriction or impediment, neither technical, legal or otherwise,
shall prevent, hinder or inhibit the fruition of the rights provided
by this License to any User of both the Hack and any Derived Work.
6. No patent infringement litigation claim (excluding counterclaims and
cross-claims) alleging that all or part of the Hack directly or
indirectly infringes a patent shall be initialized by the User.
7. The User has never violated any of the previous conditions.
8. All of the Definitions, the Grants and the Conditions of this License
shall be valid and enforceable under the jurisdiction of the User.
Failing to comply to the conditions of this License shall automatically
terminate the grants provided, without affecting other parties who have
received copies, permissions or rights under this License.
The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this License does
not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of this License.
Such provision is to be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make
it valid and enforceable.
6. No Warranty and Limitation of Liability
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
7. Use and distribution of the Hacking License
This version of the Hacking License was written on December 05, 2018.
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
document, but changing it is not allowed.
Copyright (C) 2018 Giacomo Tesio