Re: Does Debian itself have a license?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:12:47AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Hong Xu <hong@topbug.net> writes:
>
> > For example, /usr/share/doc/bash/copyright reads "Copyright (C)
> > 1987-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc." Although the author of the
> > packaging "Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>" is mentioned, there is no
> > license claimed for his packaging work.
>
> I consider that to be a bug worthy of reporting. (The absence of
> explicit grant of license for the packaging work is a violation of
> Debian Policy §4.5.)
>
> It will be a bug that many packages in Debian have, so you might want to
> co-ordinate a response. After discussion you might find the response
> is “this isn't urgent because it has been this way for decades”. Or you
> might find a different consensus.
>
> Be aware of the Debian Developer's Reference guidance on reporting a bug
> to many packages at once (in brief: don't until you discuss it with the
> package maintainers and achieve consensus)
> <URL:https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch07.en.html#submit-many-bugs>.
>
> > As far as I know, there are a lot of cases where default configuration
> > files in Debian are handcrafted, either from scratch or modified from
> > those in the upstream package.
>
> The copyright document for a package must (Debian Policy §4.5) contain
> comprehensive copyright information for all the package, whether
> originating from upstream or from Debian maintainers or anywhere else.
>
> So I think that every part of Debian is required to have its copyright
> information declared explicitly in the ‘copyright’ document of one or
> more installed packages on the system.
>
> If you know of an exception, let's discuss that; otherwise I think the
> response is to talk about specific packages that fail to meet that
> requirement.

Hi Ben,

I'm in the process of adopting php-elisp and have been delaying while
waiting for copyright confirmation emails from all contributors.
Given this:

  https://sources.debian.org/src/php-elisp/1.13.5-3/debian/copyright/

Per the URL above, is it a Policy v3.9.6 §4.5 violation?  Would it be
such a violation under Policy 4.2.0?  There are still a lot of
packages like this...

Are Ola and Pontus the only copyright holders for debian/*?  I've
followed the licensing confirmation procedure and am tracking the
replies here:

If Ola and Pontus are the only copyright holders then I can switch to
format 1.0 with explicit licensing of debian/* :-)

Regards,
Nicholas