Re: DFSG-compatibility of a overly short license [tensorflow dependency]

Lumin <cdluminate@gmail.com> writes:

> The license for the last libtensorflow.so dependency is very confusing
> because it looks quite incomplete, or exetremely overly simplified.

Thank you for naming the specific software package, and showing the
complete license text.

> > https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/blob/master/third_party/fft2d/LICENSE
> >
> > Copyright(C) 1997,2001 Takuya OOURA (email: ooura@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp).
> > You may use, copy, modify this code for any purpose and
> > without fee. You may distribute this ORIGINAL package.

There are no restrictions specified (so we have only the restrictions
from copyright law). That explains, I think, the extreme brevity of the
text: it grants freedoms without specifying any conditions.

The license to redistribute in source or binary form is unconditionally
granted (required for DFSG §2).

The license to modify is unconditionally granted (required for DFSG §3).

However, the license to redistribute derived works is not granted (this
violates DFSG §3). By the deliberately emphasised “ORIGINAL package”,
this is apparently a deliberate exclusion on the part of the authors of
this text.

> Is this a free software license? Is it DFSG-compatible?

By this analysis, the work is not DFSG-compatible and is not free software.

--
 \       Moriarty: “Forty thousand million billion dollars? That money |
  `\            must be worth a fortune!” —The Goon Show, _The Sale of |