Re: systemd-resolved violates The Debian Free Software Guidelines

Martin Hanson <greencoppermine@yandex.com> writes:
> I have posted this bug report
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=896806 that has been
> rejected by the maintainer.
>
> Maybe I have misunderstood the issue completely, but I do have some
> experience with legal issues and AFAIK, there IS a problem here.
>
> I am posting this to the mailing list in order to get "more eyes on
> the issue".

This is equivalent to providing a default search engine in Firefox or
Chromium.  If the software required the use of these external services
in order to provide basic functionality, then you might have an argument
that the software should go into contrib.  But that is not the case.
Especially for this bug report, there are many options, packaged by
Debian, for running your own DNS server.  Those will be selected by
default if you set up your network correctly.  So I am not seeing the
problem here.

Cheers,
Walter Landry