Re: Debain licensing

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Rahul Mohan G writes ("Debain licensing"):
>> Can you please let me know whether this license information is of
>> the original package? If so, what could be the license information
>> of the debian package?
>
> This licence information is of the Debian version of the package.  The
> licence information covers both the licence of the origin package, and
> of the Debian modifications (and the Debian packaging additions).

For the binary package, there is however a danger that comes with its
(build) dependencies: For example, if you have a package with an
executable that is linked to a GPL library, then the resulting program
is a dervived work according to the GPL and therefore it must be
licensed under GPL as well.

Generally, there is no simple way to get the correct license of a
binary package.

Best regards

Ole