Re: Preinstall slightly modified Debian on laptops for sale

Kumar Appaiah writes ("Re: Preinstall slightly modified Debian on laptops for sale"):
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 12:56:31PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > And it remains that your users would be better off with a kernel from
> > their distro, whatever that distro is.
>
> Thanks for the perspectives, Ian. I guess that we would have to
> maintain the kernel separately till this becomes upstream. I will
> figure out the other aspects at my end.

Good luck.

As a practical matter, if you do end up maintaining your own kernel,
you will probably find that the same kernel can be used for many
different Debian derivatives.  (If you are really lucky you'll find
that some Debian derivative already has a useful kernel and you can
supply the Debian userland with that distro's kernel, until Debian
gets the relevant drivers.)

Ian.